Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Importance Of: Finding New Music


This edition of "The Importance Of" is dealing with how important it is to discover new music. New music does not necessarily mean find the newest, latest band out there. It means finding something that is new to you. It can be something that was released before your parents or grandparents were even born or something you just found on youtube or Pandora. I am someone, that for many years between ages 15-20 years old almost always listened to an hour or two of Pantera everyday. That is not a bad thing, Pantera is awesome! If I would have kept only on Pantera though, I would not have grown as a musician. Listening to and learning songs from something that is new to you can teach you some new tricks. It can inspire you to write songs different. If you only listen to say, country music, it would benefit you to try and listen to some rock. If you only listen to rap , it would benefit you to listen to some prog rock. I have the pleasure of students constantly bringing me lots of new to me music that I would have never thought to listen to. I have a bass student that turned me on to Lakeside. Lakeside has opened up my eyes. It has improved my bass playing. Here is a great Lakeside song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTAqTt2Jjrk

I have also had the pleasure of being turned onto Paramore. This is the song that got me hooked on them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J7J_IWUhls

The only exception is a great song. Discovering new music can get you out of a rut and open your eyes. I love seeing a student discover Bob Dylan or Black Sabbath for the first time. I can see, from the look in their eyes, the look of excitement and joy of hearing masters at work. Go out and discover the "Importance of Finding New Music!"

1 comment: