Friday, February 24, 2012

Dear Rockstar: Scott LaFlamme of Bang Tango


This edition of "Dear Rockstar" is with Scott LaFlamme from the Hollywood California band Bang Tango. Bang Tango just rolled into Augusta GA to play at Coyotes night club for Jonathon Karow's "Arena Rock Series" concert. I sat down with Scott after the show and asked him some questions about guitar, music and life.

John Berret: Tell me a little about yourself.

Scott LaFlamme: I play guitar in Bang Tango and before I made it I was a mailman for 18 years.I started playing guitar and singing at age 2 1/2. By 5 years old I could play Johnny B. Goode and the Dukes of Hazzard theme song. I am completely self taught. I got my first electric guitar at age 9 and wanted to play lead guitar. At age 11 I discovered Randy Rhodes and it was over. Randy Rhodes is my guy. I got to play the song "Dee" that he wrote for his family at their music school. It was the thrill of a lifetime. As a teenager I would jam with my brothers in my basement everyday all day. My mom could not stand the noise coming from the basement. We would play after school from 4-11 p.m. everyday. As soon as we got home we did our homework and went right to the jammin. I played 8-9 hours a day. When I got my first electric guitar at age 9 my grandmother ha d a famous family quote. She said "No one needs an electric guitar at 9 years old!!!" I got discovered by Joel Leste and was brought by Alex Grossi. I got in the band with no audition. Straight off their word I was hired. Along with playing in the band I have a studio, LMI Studios. My company does recording guitar, bass, piano and vocal instruction as well. You can read more about me on my bio at my website in you want. (here is the link http://www.scottlaflamme.com/

JB: What has been your biggest thrill as a professional musician?


SL: My "Rockstar Moment" hit me when we were playing with Whitesnake. After tearing it up for over 8,500 people I stepped outside the venue to have a smoke after the show was done. I light my smoke up and look up and about 200 people swarm around me. They wanted to meet and get pictures and autographs.

JB: Did you get to meet every fan?

SL: Yes. I shook every hand, signed everything they wanted, talked to and took pictures with every single one. Myself and Bang Tango, is always for the fans. Without your fans you are nothing. It doesnt matter how many people come up to me. I am talking to every single one.

JB: What is your favorite piece of gear?

SL: I love Les Pauls. I am a Gibson man.I have 23 guitars. I have Les Paul Customs, Studios. I even have a guitar I got from Jerry Cantrell. There is a Charvel thrown in there. Gibson all the way though!!!!

JB: What advice do you have for any up and coming players?

SL:Practice like crazy. Have determination, have the drive and again you got to practice. Start ear training as early as you can. Your ear is the most important thing you have.

JB: Thanks for hangin and talkin and great show!

SL: same here and great show also!

For more on Bang Tango and Scott LaFlamme check out his website at http://www.scottlaflamme.com/

2 comments:

  1. Bang Tango is one of the most under-rated rock n' roll bands ever! I'm glad they are still rocking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they couldnt be a nicer bunch of guys either. stand up guys for sure.

      Delete