Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Practice Makes Perfect

We have talked about making a practice schedule a long time ago on this blog. It was called "The Importance of a Practice Schedule." I am talking about practice now because I have seen students progress at a rapid pace when they practice regularly and not progress at all when they dont. I understand some people come to lessons for fun and /or just dont have alot of time to practice. The fact is though that when you first start, that first year in particular, you need to stay consistent with your practice. Your hands and fingers were not meant to do the things you have to do to play guitar. You have to train them. Give them stregth and get the muscle memory going. In all the student spotlights and all the rock star and professional musician interviews I have did they all have one thing that gets said in all of them.......that is to practice, practice, practice. I would recommend around a half hour a day if you are wanting to be a serious player. Thats just for starters. In my opinion though that 1/2 hr a day can work really well for you. There are many years I played 4-12 hours a day. For many, many years (all you students have heard me tell this story) I did 2 hours a day of just exercises, everyday, every week, no matter what. It did me well. Once you get into the routine of practicing everyday it will become easier and just another part of your day, like eating and sleeping. Get yourself on a practice schedule and get to playing that instrument!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment