Saturday, March 5, 2011

Choosing a Guitar Pick


A guitar pick is not something you would put at the top of your list in importance. The truth is it is very important. You ask any professional player and they will tell you it is. Your pick is as important as your guitar and amp. I know when I dont have my Dunlop "Gator Grip" 1.5 mm picks, I dont play as well. I tried many picks before I came to the conclusion that those were the right picks for me. I started out with Fender Medium picks. After I got somewhat good, I would shred these picks to pieces. I would also wear a hook into them. Playing metal music I was constantly using fast alternate picking and alot of tremolo picking in my leads. I needed something that could withstand the punishment. I tried going to Fender Heavy picks, Dunlop "Turtles", the big triangle picks and many others before I got to the Gator Grips. Once I found the gator grips I found something that felt good in my fingers. I started out using the .75 mm. I tore through them. I kept going up in gauges until I settled at the 1.5 mm. I even went up to the 2 mm. They were too thick. I have used that same style pick now for 12 years. I would recommend to any player to go out and buy a bunch of different gauge, different material, different brand and different shape pick. Try each one for a while and pick what feels best to you. There are many different brands to choose from like Fender, Dunlop, D 'Andrea to name a few. They are made from many different materials like plastic, rubber, felt,wood, metal, glass and stone. Plastic is the most common material used and there are many types ofplastic used like celluloid, nylon,tortex, acetel,ultem, lexan and acrylic. They come commonly shaped in rounded base triangles but can come round or as big triangles. They come in different gauges as well with "extra light " being less than .44 mm, light being .45-.69 mm, medium being .7-.84 mm, heavy being.85-1.2 mm, and extra heavy being anything above 1.2 mm. Go out and get yourself a bunch of different brand, gauges,material picks and see what works best for you. You will see it making playing better for you when you find " The One" !! Heck, you can even go and get your own personalised picks with your name and logo on it and feel like a rock star! So go and "Choose A Guitar Pick."

John Berret

2 comments:

  1. This may come across as kind of odd, but I've been playing guitar for some time and have become accustomed to playing without a pick and just using my fingernail as one. Is this something that I should probably change? I'm not playing too many fast lead stuff, but I'm thinking that it will be harder to unlearn this wrong technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you likeplaying with your fingers keep doing it.

    ReplyDelete